Monday 17 October 2011

NaNoWriMo

First a blog post on Monday and then another on Monday again!? I can't make a habit of this, people will think I'm actually reliable. Can't be having that.

At any rate, you may or may not remember in my rambling, bumbling, obfuscating blog post last week, I made mention of something I was planning on doing in November called NaNoWriMo. I also vowed I would expand upon what it was and what it mean, and so here I am. And here we go!

For those of you unaware of what NaNoWriMo is, other than an bizarre sounding, annoyingly puncutated mountain range of a word, let me explain; NaNoWriMo is the National Novel Writing Month. The month is traditionally November and this year is no different.

You start on November 1st. The goal is to write a 50,000 word mini-novel (that is roughly 175 pages) by midnight on November 30th; 50,000 words, in one month. The point of it all is not to be good, but to be consistent. I am essentially endeavouring not to write 50,000 words of beautiful, elucidated prose that will change the face of literature, but just to write 50,000 words.

Fifty thousands words about whatever takes my fancy on that particular day. I might end up thinking of an overarching story, I might not; I might write about monkeys on one day, and then train-tracks on the next.
I do in fact have, on my desktop, a Word Document slowly filling up with ideas and half-thoughts about what to write. So I won't be going into this adventure blind; just with a serious astigmatism. But really, who cares, so long as it's 50k and makes a reasonable amount of sense by the end?

The idea is to teach yourself how to persevere, how to endure and how to break through blocks and fears and just create; to be organic in the writing process. You can look back later and refine if you want, or laugh at the abysmal prose you've created, yet still feel an inimitable sense of pride.

It will be a challenge, no doubt. It will require me to write an average of 1,667 words a day; a feat I haven't done since University, and a feat I have never done for 30 solid days. It will be scary, exhiliarating, exciting, painful and amazing, and I'm excited by the very prospect of doing it.


I'll no doubt be updating my blog with some kind of weekly progress, as well as perhaps posting exerpts from what mad bullshit I've written. Or I may fail and cry into my pillow.


WHO KNOWS!? IT'S SO EXCITING!

If you'd like to give it a go with me, or find out anymore information about the whole thing, then you can sign up, or just browse around, here http://www.nanowrimo.org - Go on! Do it! Do it!



DoItDoItDoItDoItDoItDoItDoItDoItDoItDoItDoItDoIt.

Or don't. No pressure 



(DoItDoItDoItDoIt)

No comments:

Post a Comment